dealing with pain in the wee hours.

anvil46

dealing with pain in the wee hours.

Post by anvil46 »

Am I alone here? Having trouble sleeping . Sorry nothing much of interest except. I, at one time was fascinated by combat and war and as I got older and studied some history .I came to believe if the parties involved would just wait that what ever the 'bone of contention' was would start to seem manageable. That the wars fought over a 'bone of contention ' just made matters worse. To win a war today small or large the winner is the one that is willing to throw more infants into a bonfire.Then theree is the easy profit of war,easier to make a sword than a plowshare . Just the mad ramblings of an aging man in pain in the night.
peace
Anvil
W4TVQ

Re: dealing with pain in the wee hours.

Post by W4TVQ »

In those "wee hours" times (we all have them) I usually resort to the "Serenity Prayer" that we use in AA:

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference.

As I practice it, it means examining whatever squirrel is running the exercise wheel in my head to see if it is changeable. Can I take some action that would alter the situation? If so, clause 2 comes into play: courage to change the things i can. Usually, that means changing myself in some way, since whatever is going on in my life is (as understand it) the direct result of my own creative thought processes. Jesus himelf affirmed that: "As you have believed, so let it be done."

Then, if the squirrel cannot be shot or anesthetized, I know I can only let it run, and accept that for the moment as what is. This brings me to Erhardt's mantra; "What is, is ... what is not, is not." I can let the squirrel run, and I probably cannot become unaware of it, but I can refuse to let it affect me yea or nay. It simply is what is. If I worry about it, stew on it, probe it for explanations, or generally try to "fix" it, all I achieve is to let it be in control of my mental status and spiritual balance until I let it go. Once I can let it go, it may not be fixed, but I am. Probably that is why one of AA's slogans is "Let go and let God." It works.

As the saying goes, "If life hands you lemons, keep them. Because, hey, free lemons."

Jai Ram
Art
"I can at best report only from my own wilderness. The important thing is that each man possess such a wilderness and that he consider what marvels are to be observed there." -- Loren Eiseley
anvil46

Re: dealing with pain in the wee hours.

Post by anvil46 »

Cool beans Brother. I have just passed a level of 'letting go'. Years ago in my spiritual practice I thought I had attained peace and forgiveness even though I knew that there were still some 'small' places to work on. Well as I continued I realized those 'small' places were huge and there was a long way to go. I am at a place now were most of the time by a small margin I am not a captive of the squirrel as you put it and as 'monkey mind' in my terminology. As I enjoy the freedom these spells of peace bring me ,slowly I let go of fear and embrace love. I resented having to love all my brothers and sisters but that emotion is starting to make me laugh. My son is in a combat zone and will go again ,and again, so I ponder war sometimes. I thought enlightenment was a static thing you attain 'it' and kinda sit in lotus position and glow. I realize now that we r on a very long journey back home and once we learn not to have tantrums the trip will be much more pleasant.
thanks
Anvil