In the beginning

Almost anything, from alpha to omega.
Speculum

In the beginning

Post by Speculum »

Here are a few interesting lines from a book on Zen by Osho (formerly Rajneesh … about whom, parenthetically, it is my opinion and experience that initially he was an excellent writer on many subjects of interest to seekers, including the Gospels, Tantra, and Zen, but that he misguidedly let himself be convinced to leave India and come to America as a much ballyhooed bhagwan … and the rest is unfortunate history):

All true seekers, in fact, have been fighting against death. Betrand Russell has said that if there were no death, there would be no religion. There is some truth in this. I will not agree totally, because religion is a vast continent. It is not only a response to death, it is also the search for bliss, it is also the search for truth, and it is also the search for the meaning of life. It is many more things. But certainly Bertrand Russell is right: If there were no death, very few, very rare people would be interested in religion. Death is a great incentive.

Reading that passage got me to wondering again what set me on the path so many years ago. The fact is, I don’t know for sure. As I have written elsewhere (see, for example, the stories at A Continuing Fiction), I have no memory of a moment in which I said to myself “I am entering upon the spiritual search”. In my case, at least, the beginning seems to have just happened, to have evolved, and in fact was apparent as a beginning only later, looking back.

Also, although I am sure U.G. would disagree (and who am I to argue with such a One!), I don’t recall death being an issue. To be sure, I was much younger then, and death was much further off on the horizon, even below the horizon, at least in my mind. I’d like to think that it was the “search for truth” – as eventually it surely did become, but I am not sure even of that.

I must confess that in the early years, it was for me probably a reach for power. Certainly, part of that would have been power over death, but I think it was more personal than that: power for me. I don't think it was in any way a malevolent thing; it wasn’t that I wanted power over anyone, power to hurt or destroy anything, but I think it was about power to control … my life, my world, my environment. Maybe that is the same thing as fear of death. Again, undoubtedly U.G. would say it is, and again, who am I to argue with him!
zoofence
Site Admin

Post by zoofence »

Here's another nice piece from another Osho book. This other book is called "The Spiritual Path", and is a compilation of four books: the book about Zen mentioned above, and three others, titled Buddha, Tao, and Tantra. This book doesn't seem to be available at Amazon, but it may be at the website http://www.osho.com. I got it on Border's "sale table" for a few bucks, and consider it a bargain, because I do like the way Osho/Rajneesh wrote and spoke, even though I concede that after coming to the US he spoiled himself. Anyway, here is the quotation (the part in blue):

Because the Truth cannot be spoken, because attempting to put the Truth into terms the mind can grasp, unavoidably limits it, alters it, tarnishes it, the Teachers try to say something that cannot be said in the hope that a desire may arise in you to know about it. Truth cannot be said, but in the effort of saying it, a desire can arise in the listener to know that which cannot be expressed.

A thirst can be provoked. The thirst is there; it needs a little provocation. You are already thirsty -- how can it be otherwise? You are not blissful, you are not ecstatic -- you are thirsty.

A thirst can be provoked. Very cool.
Ihavesayso

Post by Ihavesayso »

A thirst also may be quenched, Stefan!
If God is not your ventriloquist, you're just another "dummy!" - ihavesayso
zoofence
Site Admin

Post by zoofence »

ihavesayso, Remember the old mariners' saw -- "Water, water, everywhere, but not a drop to drink"? Perhaps in the context of the spiritual search, the same line might read, "Water, water everywhere, but not a willingness to drink!"
Ihavesayso

Post by Ihavesayso »

It matters not which choice of available paths we make today. As eternal beings we eventually get to trod them all!

"Water, water, everywhere,
And all the boards did shrink,
Water, water, everywhere..."
That I refused to drink!

Yup. Makes sense, Stefan.
If God is not your ventriloquist, you're just another "dummy!" - ihavesayso